A Cycling74 Max patch with the audio & voice allocation in gen codebox.
|Created: Winter 2019|
|Modified: July 1, 2021|
To try it out, unzip to any location and open the main patch.
To demo the presets, turn on 'RESTORE NOTES' in the PROGRAM panel and double click the preset names to recall them (a single click on the preset names just selects them for the insert/delete buttons). The current playing notes are saved with a preset when you store it. If you dont want to recall notes when recalling a preset, turn RESTORE NOTES off.
The next most important thing to know is that the list boxes below each knob select a modulation source for that knob, with the modulation amount set by clicking and dragging on the number field below the list box.
The toolbar in the top left of the main panel has buttons to open the MIDI file player, bank manager, and detailed interactive help.
- Up to 32 voices (LRU voice allocator in gen code, CPU usage ~12% +1% per playing voice on 4GHz i7 @44.1kHz sample rate with Windows10 DirectX drivers)
- 2 oscillators (EPTR antialiased square/pulse, EPTR antialiased saw/triangle, + 40 spline-interpolated wavesets, with contour mod, phase mod, freq mod, ring mod, and gate/osc sync).
- '5d' SVF filter (variable Fc, resonance, 0/2/4 pole mix, LP/BP/HP mix, and saturation)
- Polyphonic/monophonic compressor and limiter
- All parameters may be modulated from up to 35 modulation sources including:
- 3 ADSR envelopes (with graph control of velocity shaping).
- 3 LFOs (two polyphonic, sine/pule/saw+tri/stepped/random with contour shaping, freq mod, amp mod, and sync).
- Sample and Hold with trigger-level control
- XY pad to mix up to four modulation sources to any modulation destination.
- 50 Microtuning tables
- Preset manager (Simple button controls, preset naming, and bank load/save).
- Built-in MIDI file player with channel selection
- MIDI I/O (Note on/off, MIDI clock, program change, pitch bend, all 90 panel controls, and standard MIDI controllers such as pedals etc.).
- Graph display of oscillattor waveform, filter settings, audio waveform, and modulation values for most recent voice
- Built-in interactive help showing wavesets, filter characteristics, microtuning tables, etc.
For a synth of this complexity, multithreading is necessary, which is not currently supported in Max 4 Live. So it has MIDI I/O instead, including MIDI clock, so It could easily be turned into a ReWire client if desired.